Thursday, June 12, 2008

Did We Do The Right Thing?

I read an article about how we raise our children and society today. This article struck a chord within me and inspired me to write this article. I am not sure if this is off topic, I’m leaning towards on point with a futuristic twist. It’s the only thing I could come up with to make it fit.

First off, here is the article that started this post. I feel that it is only fair to give a link back to the person who inspired me to write this. I thank you Whimsicalpam for your inspiring article.

Bubble Wrap Society


Where is the best place to start?

I guess most of us born in the 50s spent the best part of our teenage years through the early part of the 1970s. We had parents who had some pretty harsh restrictions. When I was in my pre teens in the 1960s, I remember getting into an argument with my older brother and I called him an ass hole. My mother just happened to be right there and I took about 5 smacks in the face and ended up with a very bad bloody nose from it. Because of it, I knew that when my father came home from work, I would end up with welts on my ass and legs from the beating I would get from the belt. By today’s standards, that would fit in the category of abuse, but in the 1960s it was considered discipline.

These stories are common place for many my age. Most that I have talked to about it didn’t consider this abuse. This was a normal punishment when you were a kid. The results from all of this was, You didn’t curse, You didn’t talk back to your parents, You observed manners at the dinner table and you most certainly did not butt in to adult conversations. This was the way it was and you made sure you followed the rules, mostly out of fear.

In August of 1970 I turned 13 years old and things started to change. I started to let my hair grow and spent much of my time with people who believed in peace and love. It was very cool as people were very friendly towards each other. All we did was basically live together in our own little community in the woods and party all the time. I soon became very comfortable with that lifestyle and just put up a front with my real family.

Living that lifestyle and rebelling against the restrictions of my real family lead me to believe that I would never put those types of restrictions on my own children. Many from this time frame believe the same thing. We are all about free will and are hell bent and determined not to raise our own children in the same manner that we were raised.

A Debate To Defend:

Now that the background of my 50s born life is in place I can put to you the question as was put to me and let you determine the outcome. My stepson said he had a theory on why society today is as bad as it is. He seems to blame it on our generation. I understand some points that he makes but I am not sure that I agree with his whole theory.

1. We were born in the 1950s to parents who were strict and set in their ways.

2. We vowed to never treat our own children in the same manner that we were treated. This all comes after having a taste of the teenage rebellious years in the 1970s.

3. Having children of our own who rebelled against us in the 1980s for the restrictions we put upon them.

4. Our own children now in their 20s and 30s have children of their own who are even more rebellious to the restrictions we imposed on our own children and the restrictions they imposed on them.

Now, I can’t speak for our parents but I’m sure that in some form of way our parents rebelled against their own parents for the way they were treated when they were growing up.

Who’s Fault Is It Anyway?

We were rebels. We fought against a system we felt was unjust. We spoke up against a nation that we were discovering, had its own political agenda and felt that it needed to be changed. We set out to do just that and did.

Every generation makes a statement and leaves an impact on the next generation. Our generation made such an impact on society that it is being looked at as the cause of most, if not all of the issues in our society today. I suppose some of that is true but I don’t think I am ready to be blamed for all the turmoil that makes up a large percentage of our society.

Are we to blame? I put the question to you.

4 comments:

Reflections Magazine editor said...

When something goes wrong with society many people are quick to blame a specific person, a specific group. However, life is waaay too complex and we humans are way too insignificant (at times) to assume "we" must be the cause. I value family but not necessarily tradition because for me tradition equals pain. I value strict discipline sprinkled with love and understanding. I believe in personal responsibility and accountability. I believe that education, thinking critically and belief in God are essential. However, even the conservative in me realizes that my parents only played a partial role in my development, growth and choices.

So, are folks like you and folks like me responsible for the chaos in the world? Maybe not directly, maybe only slightly. One thing is certain...We serve as role models to our youth. What we leave, we leave for them...the good and the bad. All I can do for my boys, my students and the young people around me is tell them what I feel and what I think is right and wrong. In the end they will choose their own way.

I don't know if that answers your question. I will return to see your response.

Don Dousharm said...

Hello Marcueto,

Thank you for your very descriptive response to my article. It is much appreciated.

I understand what you say and agree with you, but what caused me to question this in the first place is seeing children still in diapers running the streets with no adult supervision what so ever. I see young girls barely 15 having babies of their own. They have no concept of how to raise babies as they are nothing more than babies themselves.

I don't know if this is a norm all over our country but living in the inner city of Philadelphia, this is a common occurrence.

I can't help bringing up the question of doing the right thing. I guess it's because I feel that each generation is degrading and if it doesn't stop or change, I am afraid for us as a human race.

I do realize that education is the answer but with the school systems in our area, I'm afraid we are fighting a loosing battle.

Thanks again for your response. I am thinking of bringing up the discussion on Blog Catalog. I will keep you posted.

Reflections Magazine editor said...

I don't know if it is norm everywhere either, but in the city, I believe, life is always a little different. Although I live outside the city, I work with many inner city young people who struggle with poverty and crime on a daily basis. Sometimes I even wonder where they find the strength to continue when their lives are filled with such turmoil. Not all, but some do "make it out" because they choose something better for themselves.

Perhaps you should start a group discussion on BC...

Rom said...

I grew up in the 80's where remnants of the 70's rebellious era are still prominent. I admire those who stand by their ground and died for a cause during the tumultuous time, I learned from them and part of the learning I impart to my children when my time has come to raise a family.

I observed that chaos and disillusionment is only the aftermath of the policies and principles being implemented by the existing regime. The authority they impose on people as well as the religion/church role in molding the people’s state of mind has a bigger effect on the disposition of the citizenry especially the youth.

We cannot blame the era as responsible for the degradation of the succeeding age. The past may have influenced the present but the youth of today has its own dynamism and character, they will continue to be as such and evolve more into something we cannot imagine. In their failure to launch their act, they can only blame the past but in their success none of them will thank their predecessors.

Rom
www.blah-blahblogs.com