Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Blues or Rock, About a Rock Legend or Blues – Hmmmmm – Part I

First of all, if you are truly tuned into the intricacies of music you will want to spend some time on this article. This is my own views and presentation on this particular subject. I hope to get some constructive feedback and compelling argument. I do want to know what you feel on the subject.

Who:

He comes from one of the greatest rock bands of all times with his colleagues Jimmy, John Paul & John; he epitomized heavy metal as we know it today. Together as a band they captured the world as probably the most popular rock band in the world, turning Led Zeppelin into a household name.

Why:

What I want to talk about today is not about Led Zeppelin but about the front man Robert Plant. He is more than just rock. Led Zeppelin may have put him on the map but his talent goes much deeper than that.

I would like to take you through a series of songs that I think define the man as heavy blues. This is not a biography of the man; it is just my own views of his talents. I have been asked in the past this question. Who is your favorite blues artist or singer? I have always replied with this answer. Robert Plant, Well the looks I get of puzzlement and the reply, but he’s a rock star. For some reason this has stuck with me all these years and I feel the need to present my argument. Now that it’s not the 70’s anymore, I find this much easier to explain using video and the power of the internet.

The Argument:

Have you ever really listened to the voice of Robert plant? The passion that he displays when performing just blows me away. Even today he still shows that passion. How many musicians that have displayed such a body of work still can come out on stage and present something new and nail it. I mean capture an audience with a roar of pleasure from a memorable performance.

Let’s start out with a classic from Led Zeppelin II. I have searched high and low for just the right videos for this presentation. This song had its first official release on October 22, 1969. Listen to the power of Whole Lotta Love in probably the best performance ever recorded. The song has been recorded live many times but this is Whole Lotta Love at its best.




Now that we established who the band is and you are just getting warmed up to a little Zeppelin, I guess you are ready to read between the lines and listen to this next performance. The song is Kashmir and I want you to pay close attention to the style in which Robert Plant sings this song. The way he uses the mic and sound effects, is done with such genus. This song to me is a true work of art and a pleasure to present to you.




This next song is as complex as a song can get and only Robert Plant can sell it with such force. I have always found Achilles Last Stand to be the most complex song, especially to perform live as you will see in this next video.

What happens here is something you hear from Page & Plant in interviews over and over again. They exclaim that their music was always on the cutting edge and this is a magic that is a once in a lifetime phenomena that can not be repeated. I think this holds true with the performance of this song. I have searched for other recordings but none as powerful as this piece. If you get the chance, find the original recording from the album Presents. Awesome!




Yes this is rock but what do you consider the blues? Let me try to put into perspective what I would consider the blues.

The Blues:

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The blues is a vocal and instrumental form of music based on the use of the blue notes. It emerged as an accessible form of self-expression in African-American communities of the United States from spirituals, work songs, field hollers, shouts and chants, and rhymed simple narrative ballads.[1] The use of blue notes and the prominence of call-and-response patterns in the music and lyrics are indicative of African influence.

The blues influenced later American and Western popular music, as it became the roots of jazz, rhythm and blues, and bluegrass. In the 1960s and 1970s, a hybrid form called blues rock developed from the combining of blues with various rock and roll forms.

You see, the blues does not have to be this slow deep depressive song that makes you want to put your head down and cry. This is the misconception to the blues. The blues come in many forms and styles. I have always considered Robert Plant one of the premier and authentic blues voices of the century.

In this next video you will see a different side to his talent as a singer. This next series of videos were filmed in the 90’s but the songs were created in the 70’s. Note the passion he still possesses. He still enjoys himself when he is out in front of crowds. I am going to show you two songs from the album Led Zeppelin III. I can still remember hearing these tunes for the first time when I was about 10 or 12 years old. All I can say is WOW!!! I am deeply moved.

Let’s start with Gallows Pole. This song is a pure timing song. I believe it was created just to raise the level of the audience. It starts slow and just keeps building to an abrupt end. Great Song!




This next one is one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever heard. I am to this day taken by this song. That’s The Way is a song that is so deep. You can interpret anyway you choose. It drums up specific memories for me.



And last from this set is my most favorite song by Led Zeppelin. It just wouldn’t be right if I didn’t include Thank You. Even though it is from Led Zeppelin II, it fits with this set. Note the addition on the end; it’s a nice touch I think.



In Closing:

At this point, I don’t want to make this post to long so I will end it here. I will be setting up the second part of the post within the next couple days. I hope this has been an experience for you and I hope you enjoy viewing as much as I enjoy creating it.

Don’t forget to comment with your views of weather or not Robert Plant is a true blues artist or not. I just want to hear what others think, good or bad, so come on and let’s start a debate.

Preview:

Next we will be covering Robert Plant the man and un-zeplified. This will be an in depth view on how his passion for great music has taken him to places that no one ever expected.

2 comments:

Dr. Jay SW said...

Certainly, the stereotype of blues and slow and depressive comes from people who've heard very little of it. There's no question that blues plays a big part in Led Zeppelin's music, and they knew how to make it sound good, so I'd give a yes to the question of whether Robert Plant's a blues singer.

One thing I think he might disagree with you--and a lot of other people--about, though, is that he "epitomized heavy metal." Some years ago, Spin magazine did a special heavy metal issue which included an interview with Robert Plant. He said that he didn't even like heavy metal, and that they should have waited until they did a psychedelic rock issue and put him in there with Janis Joplin and Jimi Hendrix (this is all from a very hazy memory, but it was something like that).

Anyway, cool post, though the "Achilles' Last Stand" video appears to be no longer available.

Georganna Hancock M.S. said...

I think "Blues" and "Rock" are music, not musicians. Too bad you are too young to have appreciated the best music of all: Rock 'n' Roll.